Monday, March 15, 2021

Jesus Patiently Endured - We Should Too (Part 2)


      Jesus quietly endured the mounting hatred and hostility and did not complain, He patiently heard the slanderous speeches and remained kind; He handled the ill-treatment of those close to Him with calm composure. 

    Can we say the same for ourselves?

    Some of us may be more like Peter who was quick to grab a sword and start swinging (consider Proverbs 12:18). We want to wage a holy war the very moment our "righteous indignation" is ignited - or at least we act that way - maybe we are not so reactive as to lash out in the moment, but we carry it around with us and complain constantly about our experience (sometimes even online), we harbour our irritation and purposely behave in negative ways so that unknowing people feel obliged to ask us what is wrong and give us yet another opportunity to "vent."

"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (James 1:19-120 NKJV)

    In following Jesus' example we learn that He did not burden His family nor His friends with complaints of unfairness or ill-treatment, He quietly went to His Father (who is the righteous Judge of every situation, 1 Peter 2:19-24), and surely prayed for help, comfort, peace, strength, and wisdom - just as we should be doing (1 Peter 5:7, Hebrews 4:14-16, Philippians 4:6-7, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, Colossians 1:9-11, James 1:5). 

"Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." (Psalm 62:8 NKJV)

    Jesus asks us to deny ourselves, take up our crosses, and follow Him - to walk in His steps means to do what He did - endure patiently without complaint. We need to teach ourselves to run to God when we feel hurt or mistreated, lay our bruised and broken parts out before Him and discover the wondrous way in which He can heal them!

    You want to be more like the Son on 2021? Put away complaining and begin praying, so you can learn to patiently endure and use your words for edifying others (Ephesians 4:29-32)!

You can do it! So can I!!

"Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon the earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. ...it is good for me to draw near to GOD, I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all Your works." (Psalm 73:25-26, 28 NKJV)   

    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flourish in Giving God the Glory

     Consider clay for a moment. If the lump of clay was to say to the sculptor, “I can do this on my own; I don’t need you,” what is going...