Monday, September 13, 2021

New Theme - 2 Timothy 2:22

    Our theme for the remainder of the year is 2 Timothy 2:22 – “Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” (NKJV) and I would like to suggest the following hymn as our theme song!

Higher Ground

I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Refrain: 
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on Heaven’s tableland, 
A higher plane than I have found; 
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where those abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.

I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till heav’n I’ve found,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Written by Johnson Oatman Jr, 1898 
Tune composed by Charles H. Gabriel, 1902

    This hymn may be very familiar to some, but let’s take the time to really look at it and how its words can help motivate us in our pursuit of righteousness, faith, love, and peace.

    Verse One speaks of the forward motion of growth. “New heights I’m gaining every day” – a description of zeal toward God, learning and obeying His word, seeing the benefits and blessings found only in Christ and desiring to find out more. ~ Please read Psalm 119:161b-162.

    This beautiful hymn, as clearly seen in the chorus/refrain, is written as a prayer, asking God to ‘lift [us] up to higher ground.’ “Lord, lift me up and let me stand, by faith, on Heaven’s tableland.” A tableland is a broad, high, level region; a plateau. It’s a plea to have our hope, our focus, our faith, completely anchored in heaven (Hebrews 6:19; 11:13-16). “A higher plane than I have found; Lord plant my feet on higher ground.” It is an appeal to grow further in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18; 5:6-11)

    My heart has no desire to stay, where doubts arise and fears dismay…” Verse Two states the determination to walk away from where we once were and move forward – from darkness to God’s marvelous light (Ephesians 5:8-10, 1 Peter 2:9-10). “Though some may dwell where those abound…” There will be people in our lives who don’t share our desire for growth and development, but we need to remember the big picture and the joy of being a child of God (1 John 3:1-3) and not let their apathy or negativity dissuade us from this thought: “My prayer, my aim, is higher ground”. ~ Please read Philippians 3:12-4:1. 

    I want to live above the world, though Satan’s darts at me are hurled…” We all know that the devil’s desire is for Christians to fall. His focus is on us because we refuse to serve him, BUT GOD has promised us help! We are told that if we submit to God and resist the devil that he will flee from us (James 4:7-10). We are also given the armour of God so that we can stand against the wiles of the devil. Specifically, we have a shield of faith that quenches ALL the fiery darts of the wicked one (Ephesians 6:10-18). Why do we stay in the battle? Because “…faith has caught the joyful sound, the song of saints on higher ground.” It is worth every effort! ~ Please read Revelation 4-5.

    I want to scale the utmost height, and catch a gleam of glory bright…” How beautiful to have the hope of heaven in our hearts! To desire so completely a home in heaven that we willingly climb the mountains of life, fully trusting God to fulfil His promises as we humbly obey His commands! Let your heart determine to seek God more and more each day and to say “but still I’ll pray ‘til heav’n I’ve found, “Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”~ Please read Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 26-28, 3:5, 12, 21.

    Does your heart desire heaven, an eternal home in the presence of God?

“When You said, “Seek My face,” 
My heart said to You, “
Your face, LORD, 
I will seek.”” 
(Psalm 27:8 NKJV)       

    Let this hymn remind you of your determination to grow and reach new heights in righteousness, faith, love, and peace!

“Lord, please plant our feet on higher ground!” 

Click to listen to Higher Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flourishing in Fruit – The Fruit of the Spirit

     So far in our study of ‘Flourishing in Fruit’ we have learned about the need to bear good fruit – by which God is glorified and we show...