Monday, December 20, 2021

Pursuing Love For Our Enemies

    I would like you to consider this verse today:

“…I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” (Matthew 5:44 NKJV)

    This is not the natural response to hurt and harm – at least not for me – so I have to recall this verse to mind and constantly remember that I don’t serve myself, I serve God!

    If I serve myself I burn bridges, I cut ties, I store-up resentment, I may even heartlessly “poison the well” in speaking badly to others of the people who have caused pain/hurt/disappointment. I will surround myself with people who deem my anger/upset justifiable. I won’t strive to change or grow because it’s hard, I will only wish others would so the world would be a better place.

    When I serve God I love, I bless, I do good, I pray – not for myself in this case, but for those who hurt me - I learn to forgive, I remain kind. I struggle but I grow because of it. I reach for the next rung on the ladder of growth because I know that God wants me to be holy in all my conduct, just as He is holy (1 Peter 1:15-16). I seek justification through faith in Christ Jesus (Romans 5:1-2), not from the world. When I serve Him faithfully, I can prove to myself and to others what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God, so I sacrifice my wants for what God wants me to do (Romans 12:1-2) and I can become a better person than I was before.

    Serving God requires us to change, to grow up, and be different.

    We submit to this change and the work that goes into it because we want to “be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48).

    Do you serve yourself? Do you give into the upset, unleash the fury that you feel when you or someone you love is hurt or hurting, and never seek to change yourself?

    Or do you serve God? 

    Follow Jesus' example in 1 Peter 2:18-24 and trust God, trust His ways; it’s only ever for your own good! Allow yourself to grow up in Him!

“…beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.” (2 Peter 3:17-18 NKJV)

    And remember: 

"If someone does wrong to you, do not pay him back by doing wrong to him... Do not let evil defeat you, but defeat evil by doing good." (Romans 12:17, 21 NCV) 

You can do it! So can I!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flourish in Giving God the Glory

     Consider clay for a moment. If the lump of clay was to say to the sculptor, “I can do this on my own; I don’t need you,” what is going...