Monday, May 8, 2023

Sing and Make Melody - Give Thanks With a Grateful Heart

    This week let's think on a simple song of praise:

"Give Thanks With a Grateful Heart"
(written by Henry Smith, 1978)

Give thanks with a grateful heart;
Give thanks to the Holy One;
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ, His Son.
(Repeat)

And now let the weak say, "I am strong",
Let the poor say, "I am rich",
Because of what the Lord has done for us.

And now let the sick say, "I am whole",
Let the bound say, "I am free",
Because of what the Lord has done for us.

Give thanks (give thanks),
give thanks (give thanks),
give thanks!

    A simple song that reminds us of a vitally important part of our daily life - giving of thanks to the Lord.

    There are 33 verses throughout the Bible that include the term "give thanks." In Psalm 107 alone, it shows up 5 times in this way: "Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men." In every case, the thanks is directed to the Lord.

"Now let the weak say, "I am strong""

    Paul recounts his pleading three times to the Lord for a "thorn in the flesh" to be removed, in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. Jesus answered Paul in this way, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

    How does Paul respond to this? "Therefore most gladly, I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak then am I strong." (NKJV)

    When we wholly lean on God in our physical troubles, He shows us His strength and upholds us and helps us. He makes us strong and able to endure!

"Let the poor say, "I am rich""

    James instructs us to not show partiality toward people. In Chapter 2, verse 5 he reminds, "Listen, my beloved brethren; has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom of heaven which He promised to those who love Him?"

"Let the sick say, "I am whole""

    Similar to the account of Paul and his physical ailment, we need to be able to look past the temporary and see the big picture. If you are a Christian, a child of God, you are whole. God has made you whole - spiritually. Your body may fail, but it is only a tent/jar/vessel for your soul. Focus on keeping your soul healthy and whole by reading, studying, and applying God's word and being thankful to Him for the hope we have through Jesus (2 Corinthians 4:16-5:10)!

"Let the bound say, "I am free""

    "For you are all sons of God though faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:26-29) This neutralizes/does away with every "class" the world has ever created to categorize/separate people - religious, social, and gender. God sees His children. He has told us to see fellow Christians as brothers and sisters. Equal. Joint heirs (Romans 8:16-17).

    All of these statements can be boldly declared because the Lord has provided us with strength (Ephesians 6:10-18), riches (Colossians 2:2-3, Ephesians 2:6-7), wholeness (1 Timothy 3:16-17, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, 3 John 2), and freedom (Acts 2:38, Romans 6, Galatians 5:22-23, "against such there is no law")!

"The LORD has done great things for us, and we are glad." 
(Psalm 126:3 NKJV)

    I encourage you to give thanks to the Lord this week - in abundance! He has blessed us with so much, let's show appreciation for it!

"The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart safely trusted in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,
and with my song I will praise Him."
(Psalm 28:7 NKJV)

    Fill your heart up with praise and thanksgiving and join in singing with understanding!

You can do it! So can I!! 

Link to hymn:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flourish in Giving God the Glory

     Consider clay for a moment. If the lump of clay was to say to the sculptor, “I can do this on my own; I don’t need you,” what is going...